Happy New Year lovelies!
Here is what is in this update:
- Internal Elections
- School Board Meeting
- Mass Meeting + DAE Board Meeting
Nominations are open for our local board, NCAE Convention, NEA Convention (local and state delegates), Division Boards, and NCAE Executive Board!
- DAE Executive Board – Open until January 26th – Nominations can be made using this form
- Middle School Director
- EC Director
- Elementary School Director (1 of 2)
- Student Services Director
- Member at-large (1 of 2)
- NEA Convention // Durham Delegate – Open until January 26th – Nominations can be made for Durham delegates to the virtual NEA convention using this form
- NEA Convention // STATE-ALLOTED DELEGATE – Open until January 7th – Nominations can be made for State-Allotted Delegates to the virtual NEA convention using this form
- NCAE Convention -Open until JANUARY 5th!!! – Nominations can be made using this form
State Board + Division Board
- State Executive Board – Open until January 7th – Nominations can be made using this form
- Region 5 Director (Durham’s Region! Cannot be from Wake Co.)
- The following regions also have director positions up for election: Region 1A, Two Directors in Region 2, Region 3, Region 6, and Region 7A
- Principal./Admin State, Regional, & NEA Cluster Delegate – Open until January 7th – Nominations can be made using this form
- TWO Region 5 Directors (Durham’s Region!)
- The following regions also have director positions up for election in this division: Region 1A, Region 1B, Region 2 (two directors), Region 3 (two directors), Region 4 (two directors), Region 6 (two directors), Region 7A, and Region 7B. There is also an Assistant Principal Director, and a Central Office Director.
- Nominations can also be made for NEA State-Allotted Delegate
- Educational Support Professional (ESP) – Open until January 7th – Nominations can be made using this form
- One Region 5 Director (Durham’s Region! Cannot be from Vance Co)
- The following regions also have director positions up for election in this division: Region 1A, Region 1B, Region 2 (two directors), Region 3 (one director), Region 4 (one director), Region 7A, and Region 7B.
- Student Services Division – Open until January 7th – Nominations can be made using this form
- Region 5 Seats are currently filled
- The following seats are also up for election in this division: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Region 1A Director, Region 1B Director, Region 2 Director, Region 3, Region 4 (two directors), Region 6 Director, Region 7A, and Region 7B.
School Board Meeting
Durham Public Schools Board of Education will meet on January 7th at 5:00 pm – you can livestream the meeting here! They will be discussing our metrics and reopen!
Mass Meeting + Board Meeting
We have a mass meeting on Tuesday, January 12th from 5 – 7pm – register at tinyurl.com/jan2021dae
We have a DAE Executive Board meeting on Tuesday, January 5th from 5 – 7pm. Email Michelle Burton for the link 🙂
Durham Association of Educators
What is the Durham Association of Educators?
The Durham Association of Educators (DAE) is a local affiliate of the North Carolina Association of Educators (NCAE) and the National Education Association (NEA), the largest teachers’ union in the country. We are a member-led organization of educators and allies, committed to leading the fight to defend and transform public schools so that every young person can achieve their full potential and live happy and healthy lives. We believe that educators, in collaboration with parents, students, and community allies, have the knowledge, skills, and power to build the schools and communities that ALL Durham residents deserve.
What do we do?
DAE is committed to developing worker leadership within Durham Public Schools, organizing our school buildings and communities, and winning the schools that our students, parents, and educators deserve.
- Students at the Center
- We believe in our students and their ability to be happy and healthy, to achieve their fullest potential, and to transform the world. Their learning conditions are our working condition, and our futures are inseparable. Our work centers their lives.
- A Commitment to Racial and Social Justice
- Educators have a special responsibility to understand, and intentionally work to undermine, racism and other forms of injustice in our curricula, our classroom cultures, and our relationships with our students, our parents, and each other. Our collective future depends on it.
- Educators, organizing alongside our students and their parents, are the most potentially powerful force in the state of North Carolina. We accept the responsibility of rank and file educators to lead, and constantly develop and support new leaders, in a movement that unites the majority of the people in this state and wins the schools and communities our students deserve.
- Collective Care
- We are in this together and none of us will get what we need or deserve by acting alone. We are committed to caring for, and supporting one another, as a union family, through good times and challenges.
- We Fight to Win
- We believe that change happens when people act together in strategic ways, build broad alliances, critically reflect on their successes and the challenges of their work, and contend for power in a variety of ways. For our students, our co-workers, and ourselves, we take our work seriously and look to be as effective as possible.
- We do the most difficult job on the planet and it is hard to sustain ourselves amidst our challenges. We are committed to a culture that consistently recognizes and celebrates victories, big or small, and rejects hopelessness and fear.
How can you get involved?
To join the organization, please contact Bryan Proffitt at firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 210-9256. You can also follow us on Facebook (Durham Association of Educators), Twitter (@DurhamEducators), or Instagram (@durhameducators).
You can also join now online by clicking here.