School Board Elections are just around the corner!
Our union made democratic endorsements for the 5 school board seats based on educator voices, concerns, and priorities.
Check out the endorsements on our blog post here!
If you’re a member and you’re interested in being paid to supported our endorsed candidates in their races, contact Millie Rosen at email@example.com
Durham Association of Educators
What is the Durham Association of Educators?
The Durham Association of Educators (DAE) is a local affiliate of the North Carolina Association of Educators (NCAE) and the National Education Association (NEA), the largest teachers’ union in the country. We are a member-led organization of educators and allies, committed to leading the fight to defend and transform public schools so that every young person can achieve their full potential and live happy and healthy lives. We believe that educators, in collaboration with parents, students, and community allies, have the knowledge, skills, and power to build the schools and communities that ALL Durham residents deserve.
What do we do?
DAE is committed to developing worker leadership within Durham Public Schools, organizing our school buildings and communities, and winning the schools that our students, parents, and educators deserve.
- Students at the Center
- We believe in our students and their ability to be happy and healthy, to achieve their fullest potential, and to transform the world. Their learning conditions are our working condition, and our futures are inseparable. Our work centers their lives.
- A Commitment to Racial and Social Justice
- Educators have a special responsibility to understand, and intentionally work to undermine, racism and other forms of injustice in our curricula, our classroom cultures, and our relationships with our students, our parents, and each other. Our collective future depends on it.
- Educators, organizing alongside our students and their parents, are the most potentially powerful force in the state of North Carolina. We accept the responsibility of rank and file educators to lead, and constantly develop and support new leaders, in a movement that unites the majority of the people in this state and wins the schools and communities our students deserve.
- Collective Care
- We are in this together and none of us will get what we need or deserve by acting alone. We are committed to caring for, and supporting one another, as a union family, through good times and challenges.
- We Fight to Win
- We believe that change happens when people act together in strategic ways, build broad alliances, critically reflect on their successes and the challenges of their work, and contend for power in a variety of ways. For our students, our co-workers, and ourselves, we take our work seriously and look to be as effective as possible.
- We do the most difficult job on the planet and it is hard to sustain ourselves amidst our challenges. We are committed to a culture that consistently recognizes and celebrates victories, big or small, and rejects hopelessness and fear.
How can you get involved?
To join the organization, please contact Michelle Burton at firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 667-7073. You can also follow us on Facebook (Durham Association of Educators), Twitter (@DurhamEducators), or Instagram (@durhameducators).
You can also join now online by clicking here.